Local News

Govt awaits report on Mopani’s plan to cancel orders

By SANFROSSA MANYINDA
GOVERNMENT has expressed ignorance over the reported plans by Mopani Copper Mines to cancel orders worth about $10 million for local suppliers.
The Association of Mine Suppliers and Contractors said the mining firm had communicated its intention to cancel orders, citing the Covid-19 dynamics.

The mining giant in May this year cancelled another set of orders that were made to the suppliers and Contractors.
But Ministry of Mines and Minerals Development Permanent Secretary, Bernaby Mulenga, said he would not comment on the matter as he did not have details.
“We are waiting for the association of mine suppliers and Contractors to give a detailed report on the matter because the mine has disputed that it plans to cancel orders worth $10 million,” he said.
But association president Augustine Mubanga maintained that it would be unfortunate should the plan be effected, stating that people had already committed their resources.
On Wednesday, Kitwe District Commissioner Chileshe Bweupe warned that Government would not let the mine go ahead with the plan that would cause poverty for the people of Zambia.
Mr Bweupe said that what the mining firm was planning to do was economic sabotage and would not be taken lightly.

“We are waiting for the Association of Mine Suppliers and Contractors to give a detailed report on the matter because the mine has disputed that it plans to cancel orders worth $10 million,” he said.
But association president Augustine Mubanga maintained that it would be unfortunate should the plan be effected, stating that people had already committed their resources.
On Wednesday, Kitwe District Commissioner Chileshe Bweupe warned that Government would not let the mine go ahead with the plan that would cause poverty for the people of Zambia.
Mr Bweupe said that what the mining firm was planning to do was economic sabotage and would not be taken lightly.

Show More

Related Articles

Back to top button
Close